Friday, October 24, 2008

FIRE in the Frozen Fish section!

This is no joke folks. Little did I know that when I made a quick trip to the grocery store, it would be anything but ordinary! Here's what happened:

I was talking on the phone with my friend Gina, on my way home from work, when I decided to pick up a much needed item {cookie dough :)} at the grocery store.

I was paying careful attention to keeping up my conversation, while looking around the store for my much needed addiction, I mean purchase, when something caught me by surprise...


{at which point I ask, how do you like your fish; grilled, or charbroiled}

The fire was on the inside hinge of one of the glass doors. When I first saw it, it was about one foot in length, creeping north to the ceiling of the section. It must of been electrical since sparks were flying all around, inches from the Gordon Fisherman's fish display, poor Gordon.

Of course I would like to think cooler heads prevailed and that I calmly got the attention of the nearest worker, informed them of the fire, and quickly got out of the way while they put the fire out.

Unfortunately there was a witness to what really happened, Gina. Yes, my phone conversation came back to shed some light on the true order of events.

Here is how it really went down:

1. As I walked by the glass door I noticed the flame, however it was a little shocking to see, not really on the normal agenda of grocery shopping. Needless to say, I may have been in shock somewhat.

According to Gina I interrupted our conversation with the following:

and I quote

"Is that a fire?

That IS a fire?

That can't be a fire?

Is that really a fire?"

Yes I am embarrassed to admit, it took a while to sink in, disbelief was prevalent, and I may have said this all at a very loud volume.

2. Another costumer walked by with his son and heard my, ahem, crazy exclamation and confirmed that it was in fact a fire.

We decided to go for help, I ran one way, he the other. He found someone first. I on the other hand just looked crazy running around the store saying "There is a fire in the frozen fish section!"

3. Two workers came to the scene, only to experience the same shock that I had. They just stood and stared!

Thankfully the other customer had the calm head and ordered the workers to grab a fire extinguisher.

By this time the flames are now running the entire length of the door!

{Smoked Salmon anyone?}

When the worker came back with the extinguisher it was obvious he did not know what to do, so our calm other customer grabbed it from the boys hand, opened the door and sprayed. He then had to open the door next to it and repeat the process.

It worked! The fire was out!

Disaster averted!

As I sat and stared at the scene before me, trying hard not to breath in the copious amounts of smoke that had taken over that section, I realized this:

-I may not have been the one who was calm

-I was not the one who found a worker first

-I wasn't even the one who knew what to do

-I definitely didn't put the fire out saving all nearby from near disaster


I was the one who first saw the fire and drew attention to it, therefore...


The End